2005/04/25

Priming the pump

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

I just don't get this question. What's the significance of being in the fire? Should you pick a book you love, or hate? Or just one that would be likely to have been pitched onto the burning pile? Seriously, I get no handle here at all. So, I pick Lad, A Dog, for no reason at all.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Yeah, this one is kind of creepy, too. A crush. I don't think so.

The last book you bought is:

Well, the most recent books coming into the house include Life with Jeeves, a collection of PG Wodehouse; The Pump House Gang, by Tom Wolfe; The Hollow Hills, Mary Stewart; and Vamps and Tramps, Camille Paglia's next-to-latest. All of those, however, I picked up at the surplus shed, i.e. dump.

The last book you read:

The last book I completed was a book-on-tape, Year of Wonders. I don't remember the author, but it was really gripping. Death, plague, and so forth. It was all pretty awful but so well written and read that I couldn't stop listening to it. In retrospect, I do wish I had -- I don't need that junk in my head.

What are you currently reading?

Two books, plus the four aforementioned, but really nothing. A stack of Wall Street Journals. WSJ crossword puzzles.

I really need to get more sleep on a more regular basis.

Five books you would take to a deserted island.

Oh, I don't know. Some big fat ones, I suppose -- history. The Bible. Maybe that one on How the Scots invented the modern world (could be some good tips in there). Some kind of mechanical/agricultural how-to guide. A hollowed-out book with a firearm and some ammo inside instead, heh heh. And something very, very cheerful -- deep thoughts but cheerful - PG Wodehouse springs to mind.

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?

No one.

No comments: